Spring is in the air, and tarragon is in the garden. Along with mint, rosemary and thyme, but let’s not talk about those right now. Instead, we are going to focus on this anise-ish flavored herb that’s delightful in certain cocktails. One being this watermelon tarragon cocktail made with tarragon infused vodka.
While pondering what to do with all the tarragon growing in my backyard right now, I had an epiphany. Tarragon infused vodka. A few sprigs of herb, a mason jar, some vodka and a couple days later my vision became reality. And it was a good reality.
For the final step of this journey, I had to use said vodka in a cocktail. Upon spying fresh watermelon in the fridge, my watermelon tarragon cocktail was created, consumed and given two thumbs up by me and the husband (and he normally doesn’t like watermelon cocktails).
The watermelon comes through in the front and the drink finishes with tarragon. The citrus from the fresh lemon and limoncello help balance the watermelon and tarragon. It’s refreshing for a warm day and rather simple to make. I’ll take it.
- ¼ cup watermelon chunks
- 1-1/2 ounces tarragon infused vodka**
- ¾ ounce limoncello (I used Ventura Limoncello)
- ½ ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Sprig of tarragon for garnish
- Put watermelon to a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the garnish to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a sprig of tarragon and enjoy!
- **To make the tarragon infused vodka put two sprigs of fresh tarragon in a pint size mason jar and fill with two cups vodka. Put the lid on the jar and let it sit in a cool spot in the kitchen, out of direct sunlight. After two days, start tasting the infusion. Once it has a nice tarragon flavor, strain the infusion and store in the vodka in a glass bottle to use as desired.
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!