It seems persimmon season is once again here. My Grandma is probably happy because now she can make another very large batch of cookies with them. I, on the other hand, will be using them in cocktails – starting with this vodka persimmon cocktail. Then I’ll probably move on to the persimmon rum spritzer I made last year. It would be a shame to let the fruit go to waste, yes?
For this vodka persimmon cocktail I wanted to combine the flavors of persimmon with spices typically used when baking them (allspice, ginger, cinnamon). I started making notes for a spiced simple syrup when my husband stopped me and said I was making it too complicated. He suggested I skip the syrup and instead add a little St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram. Seeing as it was late, I wanted to try the cocktail and didn’t really feel like making the syrup, I followed his suggestion (this doesn’t happen often).
One thing to keep in mind before making this vodka persimmon cocktail is that your hachiya persimmons need to be perfectly ripe. As in so soft and squishy you think they will explode just by touching them. If they aren’t completely ripe, they are very drying and don’t taste very good. Trust me on this one. As for the vodka, I used the newly released Heritage Distilling Batch No. 12 corn vodka. It’s smooth to sip on and works well in this cocktail.
- ¼ ripe hachiya persimmon
- 1-1/2 ounces vodka (I used Heritage Distilling Batch No. 12 corn vodka
- ½ ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ ounce Dolin Blanc vermouth
- 1 barspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 1 dash orange bitters
- Place persimmon in a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and fill shaker with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a dried persimmon slice if you happen to have one. Otherwise, just sip back and enjoy your drink.
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!
Note: I was sent a bottle of Heritage Distilling Vodka to sample. All thoughts, opinions, images