What do you get when you work real hard on a cocktail recipe using anejo tequila and grapefruit? First, you get a good buzz. Second, you get this Thai basil grapefruit cocktail. Third, you get to repeat number two as many times as you want. And repeat, you’ll want to do.
For weeks I was working on some kind of tequila cocktail with grapefruit. I wanted it to be different from the Grapefruit Margarita but I wasn’t really sure what I wanted other than that.
So, I experimented with different cocktails using various ingredients and types of booze. I taste tested them on my poor, unsuspecting husband – although I think at this point he is no longer unsuspecting. Finally one day everything came together and this Thai basil grapefruit cocktail was born.
I used the fresh Thai basil growing in my garden and muddled that with some fresh squeezed lime. I love using fresh ingredients from my garden whenever possible as I did with the raspberry jalapeno margarita and the cucumber jalapeno margarita.
For the booze portion of the drink, I finally decided on anejo tequila and Green Chartreuse. Oh, and for the grapefruit – rather than using fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, I ended up with San Pellegrino Pompelmo. It’s a grapefruit sparkling beverage that usually doesn’t last long in my house because the kids always want it for a “special drink.”
Thai basil grapefruit cocktail aka Thai One On Cocktail
- 4-5 Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lime
- 1 1/2 ounces anejo tequila
- 1/2 ounce Green Chartreuse
- San Pellegrino Pompelmo (grapefruit)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle Thai basil leaves and fresh squeezed lime.
- Add tequila and Green Chartreuse with ice and shake.
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and strain ingredients from cocktail shaker into the rocks glass.
- Top with San Pellegrino Grapefruit and garnish with lime wheel and sprig of Thai basil.
Like this recipe? Subscribe to our newsletter to get more just like it delivered directly to your inbox.