Fig season might be gone, but that doesn’t have to stop us from enjoying these little beauties in this tequila fig cocktail. While I did take advantage of some fresh ones to make a homemade jam, you can easily find fig jam in the store. It won’t have the clove notes of the homemade stuff, but it will still be tasty. Trust me.
Homemade fig jam was on my list to make for the last year. Finally I found not only fresh figs at the store, but also the time to make it. If you are lucky enough to have both of those happen, I highly suggest you do it. It turned out so good, it was hard to not eat it all straight out of the jar. It’s also really good on toast with goat cheese as well as in this tequila fig cocktail. Actually, that’s kind of sounding like the breakfast of champions.
As for the name, I chose the Roman goddess of wisdom and knowledge to represent this drink. Figs were loved by ancient romans and somewhere I read that the fig tree was a symbol of knowledge. Seemed like a good fit to me.
- 2 barspoons fig jam**
- 2 ounces reposado tequila
- ¾ ounce manzanilla sherry
- ½ ounce lime juice
- thin lime wheel for garnish
- Add all ingredients except for garnish to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a thin lime wheel and enjoy!
- **To make the fig jam cut 2 pounds black mission figs into small pieces and add to a large nonreactive saucepan. Top with 1-1/2 cups sugar and stir. Let sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the figs are juicy.
- Add ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, ½ cup water, ½ teaspoon ground cloves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, stirring occasionally until the fruit is soft and the liquid runs off the side of a spoon in thick, heavy drops - 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, spoon into mason jars leaving ½ inch headspace. Place the lids on the jars and let cool. Store in the fridge if using right away or put in the freezer. Fig jam recipe adapted from Food and Wine.
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!