Sugar cane rums hold a special place in my heart. I understand they aren’t for everyone, but I love them. And I love that some of them, like the Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star that I used in this rum sweet vermouth cocktail, aren’t very expensive. $25 for an eight year aged spirit that tastes great? Sign me up.
This rum sweet vermouth cocktail is a play on an aged gin amaro cocktail I made awhile back. That drink, a play on the preakness is a play on a manhattan. So, it all circles back to a classic in the end.
With only three ingredients, this drink is a sophisticated sipper that the rum really shines in. It’s also excellent for sipping after dinner. Sitting next to a warm fire while doing so is optional, but highly recommended. Especially on those cold nights. Just sayin’.
- 2 ounces Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star Réserve Spéciale aged 8 years
- ¾ ounce sweet vermouth (I used Carpano Antica)
- ¼ ounce Ramazzotti Amaro
- Orange peel for garnish
- Add all ingredients except for garnish to a mixing glass.
- Fill with ice and stir.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel after expressing the oil over the drink and rubbing around the rim of the glass.
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!