Key limes. Those cute, little, tart fruits that just beg to be turned into pie. Or in my case, cocktails. Except this time, I first turned them into a ginger vanilla key lime syrup and then put them to use in my drink. My rum key lime cocktail to be exact.
The initial idea for the key lime syrup came from a recipe in the canning book, Tart and Sweet. It used the whole key lime and didn’t have any vanilla. However, when I made that syrup it turned out extremely bitter because of the pith. So, I scrapped that syrup, bought 2 more bags of key limes and tried something different.
Instead of using the whole citrus, I did a combination of zest and juice. That with a vanilla bean and grated ginger was the winning combination. Tart, sweet, a little bitter with notes of ginger and vanilla. In other words, delicious. And very different.
The next part of the process was figuring out exactly what to mix with this syrup. After a few attempts and some heated discussions with the husband, we finally settled on this rum key lime cocktail. The key lime syrup comes through but it’s not overpowering.
It’s kind of like a very fancy daiquiri – and perfect for the summer months.
- 1 egg white
- 1½ ounces agricole rum (I used Clement)
- ¾ ounce ginger vanilla key lime syrup**
- ½ ounce Batavia Arrack
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Ground cardamom for garnish
- Add all ingredients except for garnish to a cocktail shaker and shake without ice.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake again.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe glass and garnish with a little bit of ground cardamom.
- **To make the ginger vanilla key lime syrup:
- Zest 1 pound key limes and combine with 1 cup of key lime juice, 1 cup sugar, 1 split vanilla bean and 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger in a small pot. Turn heat on to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool and strain through cheesecloth. Store in a glass bottle (or mason jar) in the fridge until ready to use.
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!