Last month while working a few shifts as a bar back at Death and Taxes in Reno, I was introduced to the Black Manhattan cocktail. After trying the drink at home, my husband had the brilliant idea to add in some bourbon poached peaches to the mix. Let’s just say the first round of these bourbon poached peach Black Manhattans did not last long. And there were refills.
The bourbon poached peaches I had on hand were left over from an article I wrote on another site I write for. I served them over vanilla ice cream for a summery dessert. I also did the same with pears for a winter dessert. Apparently I like bourbon poached fruit – but then again, who doesn’t?
For my first Black Manhattans at home I made one with rye and one with bourbon. My husband and I both agreed we liked the bourbon version better. I was a little surprised at this because I like my Manhattans with rye. But, Averna is different than sweet vermouth and the bourbon goes better with it. This was a good thing since it led to the creation of this bourbon poached peach Black Manhattan.
- 5 or 6 bourbon poached peach slices
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce Averna Amaro
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
- Place bourbon poached peaches in a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add bourbon, Averna and bitters and fill with ice.
- Stir and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel after expressing the oils over the drink and rubbing around the rim of the glass.
Want even more? Subscribe to our newsletter so you get our latest drink recipes delivered directly to your inbox.