Other than my birthday, I think my favorite event in January is the return of blood oranges to the grocery store. Upon their arrival this year, I stocked up and celebrated with the creating of this mezcal blood orange cocktail. A little smoky, a little sweet – it’s just good in all the right places.
Mezcal, tequila’s smoky cousin, has been one of my favorite spirits to mix with lately. I used to be a little scared of using too much in a drink for fear it would overtake the other ingredients, but I’m long past that fear now. In fact, after long, late nights at work I look forward to winding down with a mezcal cocktail before going to bed.
I would make this mezcal blood orange cocktail after work, but I don’t think the husband and kids would enjoy hearing shaking at 1 in the morning. Instead, I save this one for pre dinner libation – or apertivo – it does have Campari in it after all.
- 1-1/2 ounces mezcal (I used Fidencio)
- ¾ ounce blood orange juice
- ½ ounce Campari
- ¼ ounce honey syrup
- ¼ ounce lime juice
- Blood orange wheel for garnish
- Add all ingredients except garnish to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake and double strain into an ice filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with a blood orange wheel and enjoy!
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!