When inspiration strikes in the form of a kiwi rum cocktail the only thing to do is run with it. And run with it I did.
After munching on a few kiwi slices, I felt the need for some rum. But not just any rum – I wanted grassy, earthy rum agricole made from sugar cane. Rather than throwing back a shot of just straight rum, I opted for a kiwi rum cocktail. Because that’s how we do things around here.
So, kiwi and rum agricole were the starting points for the drink. For the citrus portion, I chose to do a combination of lime and lemon. Salers Gentiane Liqueur added some bittersweet, earthy notes. I found the drink to be a little off balance and needed a tiny bit of sweetening without any extra flavor. A splash of simple syrup fixed that problem and the drink was done.
For some reason, this drink immediately reminded me of California. Not sure if it was the St. George California Rum Agricole or something else, but that’s what hit me. As did the name California Dreamin’. So I’m just going to roll with that. And drink another one since I still have kiwis on hand. Cheers!
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced (reserve 1 slice for garnish)
- 1½ ounces rum agricole (I used St. George California Agricole Rum)
- ½ ounce Salers
- ½ ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ ounce simple syrup (1:1)
- Add all kiwi except for 1 slice to a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Pour in remaining ingredients (except for the reserved kiwi slice) and fill shaker with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with the reserved kiwi slice and enjoy!
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!