It’s the most wonderful time of the year!! Don’t you just love Christmas?? The family, the friends, the good cheer…the gifts?! We here at One Martini want to help you this year with our holiday wine gift guide. It’s guaranteed to please the wine lover in your life.
- Nothing pleases the palate and pairs with all your holiday fare quite like Bourgogne. From the one of the premiere French wine regions, red Bourgogne (Pinot Noir) is a soft and silky wine with smooth tannins. A great accompaniment to a gathering of friends and family or even a quite night in front of the fireplace. Look for vintages 2009-2012 from Cotes de Nuits such as Gevrey-Chambertin or Nuits-Saint-Georges.
- In keeping things mellow for the holidays, and wanting to try something a little different, try a Montepulciano d’Abruzzo from Italy. Made from the Montepulciano grape, this red wine is dry with soft tannins and usually consumed on the younger side. Look for vintage years 2011 or 2012.
- Decanting a wine is such a lost art and unfortunately so because it makes wine taste so much better! Just opening the bottle isn’t enough to let a wine ‘breath’ it needs much more contact with oxygen. You need an aerator so that perfectly aerated wine can be poured in each glass. An aerator is a device that mixes air into the wine as it flows through or over it, thus increasing the wine’s exposure to oxygen and causing aeration. It’s a must faster alternative to swirling or traditional decanting.
- For the smart wine lover in your life, get them Jancis Robinson’s latest book, Wine Grapes. This book contains over 1,000 different grape varietals! Maybe one of your resolutions could be to try a new grape each month!
- Wine lover already have enough wine? Why not give them a place to store it, like a wine fridge. It will store you wine at the perfect temperature and at the perfect angle, some even have multiple temperature settings for you to store your red and your white wines.
- There is nothing worse than starting a bottle of wine, but then having to throw it away because you didn’t finish it before it went bad. There is a fix for that! Try a Wine Saver. There are 2 different kinds, one that pumps the air out of the bottle to preserve the wine or one that pumps gas in. Both work just fine and can add up to 5 extra days to the life of your wine.
Want even more? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get our latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!