Normally during blood orange season, I use them in as much as I can. This year, however, I’ve been a little lacking and I feel slightly bad about it. They are my favorite citrus and I just can’t let the season slip by without using them more. So, to make up for my lack of blood orange cocktails this season, I came up with this blood orange whiskey cocktail.
My first version of this blood orange whiskey cocktail was with bourbon and to be honest, it fell somewhat flat. For round two, I switched the whiskey to rye and it was much better. The spicier notes of the rye balanced the citrus and Punt E Mes. I would have had round three but I had things to do (like sit on the couch and watch tv).
But, if you’re in the mood for something with bourbon and blood oranges, I suggest you go make yourself this charred blood orange bourbon cocktail. It is fantastic. And well worth the little bit of time it takes to char the citrus.
- 1-1/2 ounces rye whiskey (I used Rittenhouse)
- ½ ounce fresh squeezed blood orange juice
- ¼ ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ ounce Punt E Mes
- 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
- Add all ingredients except garnish to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Express the oil of the orange peel over the drink, rub around the rim, twist and drop in glass.
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!