When a bottle of Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva Rum shows up your doorstep in the summer, you have two options. Number one: make a mojito. Number two: make a daiquiri. Anything other than that is out of the question when it’s hot outside. So, me being the wise-ish person that I am, I went with number two. The Daiquiri. But not just any daiquiri. An absinthe daiquiri.
Technically, this would be more of an absinthe-laced daiquiri than a true absinthe daiquiri since the main spirit in the drink is rum and absinthe is only rinsed around the inside of the glass. But, that one little rinse gives the drink all you need of the green fairy. And using my logic (or woman’s logic as I’ve been told it’s called), that’s all you need to call it an absinthe daiquiri.
The only other change I made to the classic daiquiri recipe was to replace the simple syrup with honey syrup. I liked how the honey paired with the Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva Rum that I used for the base spirit. I also liked it with the absinthe. I suppose you could use either, but I do recommend the honey syrup. It was delicious in there.
- 2 ounces aged rum (I used Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva)
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ ounce honey syrup
- Absinthe for rinsing glass (I used St. George Spirits Absinthe)
- Fresh fennel sprig for garnish
- Pour a small amount of absinthe into a chilled cocktail glass and roll around the glass to evenly coat all sides. Discard any extra absinthe.
- Add rum, lime juice and honey syrup to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake and double strain into your absinthe rinsed glass.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of fennel and enjoy!
Want more just like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll get the latest buzz delivered directly to your inbox!
Note: I was sent a bottle of rum to use for the creation of this cocktail. All thoughts, opinions, images and recipe are my own.